Easy Kitchen Curtains

It took me a while to decide on the kind of curtains I wanted to make for our kitchen. I finally made them yesterday after looking at tons of different pictures for inspiration, and I am pretty happy with the result.
I was kind of making it up as I went along, so I took pictures and wrote down the steps just in case I ever want to make them again. I started with 3 yards of Amy Butler Midwest Modern print, plus an equal amount of lining fabric. I used a little less than a yard for each window.

The window in the picture is 33″ wide (measured from the outside of the frame), so I added an inch for seam allowance and cut 34″ lengthwise and used the width of the fabric with just the selvedge trimmed off. Then I cut an equal size piece of lining fabric and pinned the 2 pieces together with the right sides facing.
Then I sewed down 3 sides (left, right and bottom), and turned it inside-out like a pillowcase. Once the piece was inside-out, I pressed the edges.
I sewed the edges again, just to make sure that the curtain would lay flat, then I decided to add some pleats to the bottom.
I folded over the bottom edge 3 inches and pressed the fold, then sewed 1 inch in to create a pleat.
Then I folded the fabric over again, 3 inches from the previous pleat, pressed and sewed 1 inch from the fold again.I repeated the pleating step again, and added a third one.

That was enough for me, so I finished up by creating a rod pocket on the top of the curtain and I was all done! I am definitely still a beginner at sewing, and this project could not have been easier.

The kitchen still needs some work, and I need to paint the window frames over the kitchen sink before I can hang the curtains.

Stripey Initial Totes

One of the best thing about unpacking all our stuff is that I am finally able to finish up some of the projects I started before the move. I made these tote bags a few months ago for two of my cousins, and I just had to finish up the initials.The fabric is black and white striped canvas, and the bag has a square bottom, so it can fit lots of stuff.I painted the letters on using a freezer paper stencil, and it needed a few coats of paint to make sure the stripes didn’t show through.

I am thinking of making a bunch more for myself to use for grocery bags.

I made a skirt!

So I finished my first summer sewing project and actually wore it to work yesterday:

(This picture is at the end of the day, so it’s a little wrinkly). I did a basic straight skirt with a covered elastic waist and it took a little over an hour.

Now I’m looking for some cool fabric to make more!

Felt Flower Tutorial

These are my favorite flowers to make – quick, easy and cheerful. All you need is 2 small pieces of felt (one for the petals, one for the leaves), matching thread and a needle.

First, cut 6 petals using a quarter as a template. Then cut 2 leaves from the other color (I did mine freehand).

Then fold each petal in half and stack all six.

Then stitch through all 6 petals at once.

And stitch through again, making a circle with the thread.

Then pull the thread tight – the petals will spread out and form a flower, and you may have to arrange the petals a bit to make them look nice. Once they look good, make a knot to secure the flower.

Attach the leaves to the bottom of the flower with a few stitches.

Ta-da! You made a flower!

Summer Sewing

One of my goals this summer is to start making some clothes for myself. I went shopping the other day and couldn’t find anything I like, but I can picture the kind of clothes that I want. Here are some of the great tutorials that I am going to try:

Full Gathered Skirt from blogforbettersewing.com

The Socialite Skirt from Elle Apparel

Fabric Bow Belt from Say Yes to Hoboken

I made a quilt! (sort of)

My sister had a baby on Wednesday, a little boy named Patrick. He is so cute and I got to spend some time with him this weekend. I have been wanting to try making a quilt, so I thought this was a good time to go for it. Here is how it came out:

I used solid flannel for the back and the white stripes on the front. The whole thing took about 3 hours, and I did it on my sewing machine (no hand stitching involved). The inside is a little thin, and the next time I will probably make the stripes smaller, but it’s not bad for a few hours of work, and the flannel makes it really cozy.

Sewing Weekend

I spent this weekend making cute little dresses for my niece. I never made a dress before, so I scoured the internet for patterns and tutorials, and found some really great ones. Here’s what I made:

Based on this tutorial.

Adapted from this pattern (I added the ribbon ties on the shoulders).

I was so happy with how my first 2 dresses turned out that I made one without a pattern – a super-easy pillowcase dress (not from a real pillowcase).

I had so much fun sewing, the whole weekend flew by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...