Right before Thanksgiving I bought a very basic bookcase from Target for the other end of our long hallway. Anthony has a ton of books, and we needed extra space to store them all. I didn’t want to leave it completely plain, so before I nailed on the back panel, I lined it with double-stick tape and covered it with fabric. I finished the bookshelf according to the instructions, nailing the back panel in place. The shelf looked great empty, but we realized that either the walls or floors are crooked. Sigh. That is the fun of living in an old building.I am working on getting the arrangement of books and pictures just right on the shelves, and I am also going to add some shims under the base to try and straighten it out a bit.
Once the cookies were packed and delivered, Anthony and I went to a really fun wedding. There was an old Hollywood movie theme, and I worked with the bride on the escort cards. She asked for movie tickets, and I think they came out really great.They looked really cute standing up in popcorn!
It took me a while to decide on the kind of curtains I wanted to make for our kitchen. I finally made them yesterday after looking at tons of different pictures for inspiration, and I am pretty happy with the result.
I was kind of making it up as I went along, so I took pictures and wrote down the steps just in case I ever want to make them again. I started with 3 yards of Amy Butler Midwest Modern print, plus an equal amount of lining fabric. I used a little less than a yard for each window.
The window in the picture is 33″ wide (measured from the outside of the frame), so I added an inch for seam allowance and cut 34″ lengthwise and used the width of the fabric with just the selvedge trimmed off. Then I cut an equal size piece of lining fabric and pinned the 2 pieces together with the right sides facing.
Then I sewed down 3 sides (left, right and bottom), and turned it inside-out like a pillowcase. Once the piece was inside-out, I pressed the edges.
I sewed the edges again, just to make sure that the curtain would lay flat, then I decided to add some pleats to the bottom.
I folded over the bottom edge 3 inches and pressed the fold, then sewed 1 inch in to create a pleat.
Then I folded the fabric over again, 3 inches from the previous pleat, pressed and sewed 1 inch from the fold again.I repeated the pleating step again, and added a third one.
That was enough for me, so I finished up by creating a rod pocket on the top of the curtain and I was all done! I am definitely still a beginner at sewing, and this project could not have been easier.
The kitchen still needs some work, and I need to paint the window frames over the kitchen sink before I can hang the curtains.
Our apartment is painted and ready for us to move in, but I am having a little trouble finding a mover to take our stuff out of storage and bring it up to the third floor in the next 2 weeks. I’m really anxious to get settled again, and there are several projects that I can’t wait to start.
The first thing that I will tackle are curtains. Our old house had nice wooden blinds on all of the windows, so we didn’t have to think bout curtains. This apartment has really tall old windows, and I am thinking of making curtains for every room. I spent some time today looking for fabric, and it seems like lots of sites are having great sales right now.
1. Dwell Studio Sketch
2. Dwell Studio Gate
3. Amy Butler Daisy Chain Bouquet
4. Thom Felicia Citysquare
5. Premier Prints ZigZag
6. Amy Butler Daisy Chain Clematis
7. Robert Allen @ Home Binaria
8. Braemore Fioretto Sprout